When talking about technology, I am a huge fan and love to stay up on the coolest and newest toys. However, with the prices of these objects running sky high I can only dream of having these cool toys. This goes for computers as well, I love surfing the web, cropping photos and downloading music. That is just about everything I enjoy about computers, I’m not a gamer nor do I like using facebook, myspace, or communicating through the computer unless its E-mail. Overall I wouldn’t say I am an alien to electronics and computers but I do feel maybe a little out of the loop when it comes to blogging and creating websites, but I have already learned a few things and am excited to see where this class takes me.
Marc Prensky states that, ‘today’s average college grads have spent less then 5,000 hours of their lives reading, but over 10,000 playing video games (not to mention happiness20,000 hours watching TV).’ Like I stated above, I’m not a gamer but I can relate to the fact that I spend six times as much time watching TV. than I do reading. This is terribly sad and I can only imagine how bad our youth is about reading. Believe it or not, I have never been involved with a computer class but my sisters helped me with computer knowledge concepts.
I graduated high school ten years ago, and times have changed. ‘Our children are being socialized in a way that is vastly different from our parents,’ according to Marc Prensky. This statement from Mr. Prensky is extremely true in so many ways. Communication is such a huge key in today’s society and there are millions of ways to communicate in today’s world these include: phones, texting, computers (in so many ways) where 15 years ago the only way to connect to others were through a single land phone with one single line.
The last quote I am going to comment on is from the Engage Me or Enrage Me article, ‘I can have nothing to do, and I’ll find something on the internet.’ So looking into the future I will try my best to incorporate some kind of technology in my classroom. My endorsement area is PE so it may be a challenge at times but I will make it mandatory in some way to use computers and technology within my student’s curriculum. It is so important and technology is only going to grow and grow. Soon enough every household will have a computer in it, making home phones obsolete. I also feel the expansion of technology is only going to give our youth a ton of more opportunities to succeed and will give them chances to discover things about themselves they never knew which is a positive in today’s world.
Scott,
ReplyDeleteIt is a little depressing to realize to we do spend more time with technology than we do reading. But it is a sign of the times. I like how in the end of your post, you admitting needing to find a way to involve technology to keep teh students engaged and relate to them more. I remember have a landline and being so excited when my parents finally got call waiting!!